Friday, March 31, 2006

MuteMath - "Chaos"

"Complication's my claim to fame
And I can't believe there's another
Constantly just another
Can't avoid what I can't control
And I'm losing ground, still I can't stand down
Yeah I know, yeah I know, yeah

I know You stay true when my world is false
Everything around's breaking down to chaos
I always see You when my sight is lost
Everything around's breaking down to chaos

It’s hard to trust anyone again
After all the letdowns I’ve been through
Haunted by what I’ve been through
Best to try while I still can breathe
And I’m screaming out give me hope somehow
And I know, yeah I know, yeah

I know You stay true when my world is false
Everything around's breaking down to chaos
I always see You when my sight is lost
Everything around's breaking down to chaos

Chaos, I know You stay true
Yeah, I know You stay, yeah

You stay true when my world is false
Everything around's breaking down to chaos
I know You stay
I know You stay true, everything around's breaking down
I know You stay true, everything around's breaking down

You stay true when my world is false
Everything around's breaking down to chaos
I always see You when my sight is lost
Everything around's breaking down to chaos"

It's been a little while since my last essay/post. Busy, busy weeks. I guess one could say it was its own little bit of chaos....ba-dum-ching.

I was fortunate enough to see MuteMath in concert last week. They were awesome. This song is probably my favorite of theirs so far.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the song is about God's faithfulness and presence in all times. When things are going horribly, God is there. When everything around is coming down, God is there. God stays true. Always. In a world ever-changing and crazy, God always stays true.

As things get complicated (and don't they always when people are involved?), we may feel like we lose ground. But the knowledge that God is true, that God is outside this chaos and able to handle it, should be a comforting fact, if only we can believe it. This isn't to say that by simply believing it things will all get better- that's simply foolish. But we can find comfort in knowing that God has this all in control. MuteMath has another song from their first EP entitled "Control." That song talks about surrendering to God and ceding control. But that can be hard to do when one has been let down, when things in the past tug at your intention of letting go. It's seemingly easier, or maybe I should say safer, to keep things in one's control. Chaos scares us (typically) and we tend to like to be in control, so the idea of willingly giving that control up runs counterintuitive. This song works for me as reassurance that it is okay, and even good, to trust in God's presence and capabilities. I mean, when was the last time I created a universe?

As far as the MuteMath sound goes, I've described it as "Electro-synth rock-meets U2" in my other blog. This song opens with pounding drums, a ringing guitar and a pumping bass line. Paul Meany's voice comes through clear and sincere, with a hint of his reggae roots (from his previous work in the band Earthsuit) showing. Making excellent use of his keytar, he adds a variety of effects and, well, just plain cool noises that add to the song without sounding forced. The songs drives on, the lyrics unfold, and it is simply awesome. I love this band, and I have a feeling they will continue to rise on my personal list of favorites.

If you'd like to find out some more about MuteMath, check out their website at http://www.myspace.com/mutemath or http://www.purevolume.com/mutemath. I imagine they will be making a name for themselves in the coming months/year. I have a slight hunch that they may "make it big." Good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home